March 19, 2011

Venice : Day 4

This morning I wanted to visit Salute Church and la Dogana Dal Mar. I made a late start from the hotel and took the vaporetto. Now let me tell you about public transport in Venice. The "vaporetto" is a water bus which runs in most parts including to go over the islands and the "terra ferma" (the continent). There are slow lines and faster ones. From the railway station to San Marco it takes one hour on the slow one (at least 10 stops) and 35 minutes on the faster one (about 5 stops). Then if you need to cross over the grand canal where there are no bridges you'll most likely find a "traghetto" post sighted at the end of a narrow street. They are in fact gondoles for 10 people, they run as soon as they are filled up and it costs 0.50 euros. To go on the vaporetto you need to buy a ticket or a pass before hand but - except at a few stations - there is no control whatsoever.
I arrived at La Salute at lunch time so I made it straight for a restaurant right behind. A very nice place overlooking Giudecca Island. They offered me a grappa at the end of the meal. When I saw the bill I thought I might as well drunk it... I paid happily and was even going to kiss the waiters but then I thought better of it.
La Salute - as much churches - didn't reopen until 3 and la Dogana Del Mar was closed for repairs. So I went instead to the nearby Peggy Guggenheim Collection. They have all the best Modern artists' paintings and sculptures in there and a delightful garden.

No comments: