March 04, 2011

Mental and singing

The most important thing to get ready to sing is to relax. Mentally and physically. So first of all, wherever I have to perform, I have to get there in plenty of time. Quite often the only place to get some privacy are the Gent’s. I go through a couple of breathing excercises and keep repeating over and over to myself « you’ll be fine, it’s not a competition but a challenge ! »

Last time I had a concert was at my birthday party. So I was acting as the host and as the singer. From the outside surely it seems a non-stressing situation : my public were my friends. I was going to perform in a nice and comfy setting.

Anyway after I had made sure everybody had a drink and nibbles. I went to the loo and got ready. I then went ‘ on stage ‘ and introduced briefly the pianist and the programme. Once I had signaled to the pianist I was ready I knew there was no turning back : I had to go all the way through no matter what ! While singing I thought about all the advice and tips I got from my singing teacher. And at the same time focusing on the words : every song is a story with renewed feelings every time. Making eye contact can be a bit unsettling especially with people you know very well. I couldn’t help but wondering if my friends liked what I did. I could see my godfather descretely yawning. I thought : is he getting bored or just tired ? An other friend was sort of looking judgemental. I thought : « she used to be a professional singer, she’s probably ticking in her head all the mistakes I’ve done so far… »

All the same it went very quickly and I was releaved that it was over but as well sorry that those happy moments were already over.

No comments: