January 06, 2011

My Baptist Years (2)

One of those Fridays, as I was supposed to stay in Paris because my parents were off on holiday the following day, I went straight to the station after school on the heat of the moment. I was going into pieces. It's from there on that I started to see psychiatrists. I gave up the studying and looked for a job. I ended up to work for a NGO which was in fact a community for people who were at a loose end. It was only a few weeks contract but I was then invited to live with them. They were all catholics and although I saw myself as open minded I was still on a mission... I was supposed to participate in activities like gardening but I either did nothing or took the car - I had passed the driving test after 6 months of tedious learning in all sort of weather and an accident and bought back a car from my Dad - to pick up hitch-hikers to convert them...
I am getting mixed up in my own memories ! It must have been before this last episode that I had a job in an office of the Social Security. I was still at my parents but had a car therefore freedom... The contract I was on was only for 9 months and a half because after that they had to enrol me as a civil servant. In the spring of 1981 François Mitterand became President and under the pressure of the unions people like me were offered to be civil servants after all. I didn't want to. I had other plans : to study in a Bible School.

No comments: