January 27, 2011

My Ashby Years (1)

I still didn't know what to do with my life. At the time I was involved with the Pithiviers-Ashby De La Zouch (Leics) Twinning Association. Mainly following a conversation English course but I soon met people from Ashby while on their visit in Pithiviers. I particurlarly became friendly with Jo. She had lost her husband lately and was nonetheless very lively and had a great sense of humour. I didn't have anything to loose and so eventually I decided - after a few visits to Jo's and trips with the Twinning - to go to live in Ashby to learn English there and then, deep in the pan. I packed "everything except the sink" in my car and crossed the Channel, on the ferry, we were in 1987. I had booked a B & B recommended by someone from Ashby. This B & B was run by Mark & Julie who are still friends of mine. Julie was a Scott and an other lodger was from Northern England. It would have been quite funny I suppose to listen to us 3 with those different and very distinctives accents.
The plan was to get a job in a restaurant as a waiter. Thanks to Mark's advice I found out a live in job in Burton Upon Trent within 10 days.

No comments: