January 08, 2010

Mobile phone and Bank

Yesterday I went to a Local Branch Bank (LBC) to open a bank account in ££. I explained that I did not intend to be a Permanent Resident (PR) in UK and therefore was thinking to have an oversea bank account. At the LBC they put me through their International Banking Branch (IBB) which filled up a form over the phone and faxed it to the LBC for me to sign. Afterwards I just had to send to the IBB a utility bill and my last 3 months French bank statements.
It is going to be like that : I'll have in fact 2 accounts, one in €€ and one in ££. This system will allow me to transfer money from France to UK through the Isle of Man without any fees.
Then I went to buy a mobile phone. I wanted to get a phone with a contract. Unfortunately I couldn't. To have a contract you have to have a bank account related to an address in UK. So, back again - I mean like in the States - with a prepaid phone.
By the way one of my client - Irish, married to an English lady and based in India - told me that "he never met before such a bohemian accountant" ! (I'm not an accountant but I sort out his tax form every year)

No comments: