December 27, 2009

Last concert interview translated

After his first successes in New York, it is now in Montpellier than Benoit Ivernel did his first steps as a singer. In "Le Bookshop" in Montpellier City Center, Benoit Ivernel, with Maren Carlsen at the piano, pleased his public with American songs such as "Summertime", Gershwin's "Someone to watch over me" and - among others - the English transposition of Jacques Brel's "Ne me quitte pas", "If you go away".

At the beginning Benoit Ivernel - who's sensibility when he sings can only move people - was singing "to please elderly people". It has been indeed this kind of public who listened for the first time to his nice resonant and deep voice. After B.I. saw the film "I feel good" he knew what he wanted to do. This film is the true story of seniors American choir. They share their enthusiasm all over the States and even abroad. B.I. was so impressed by this story that he found his vocation : "In January 2009 I had decided to go to New York for a few months. I wanted to volunteer in a N.G.O but I wasn't sure in which area" Thanks to this film he knew.

From then on B.I. took one-to-one voice lesson in Montpellier and New York. And then, eventually, he had the guts to perform in a day center for aged people. His public was over the moon. He had posters made by the association saying "Our very own Charles Aznavour". The retired people liked a lot that he was singing in French. "It reminded them of their holiday in Paris"

How does B.I. feel when he's singing live ? - He smiles. "Quite a tough question." He always loved singing. "When I was a kid I was singing along listening to Jacques Brel, Charles Aznavour, Charles Trenet, Gilbert Bécaud..." Later on he sang in different choirs. "What I appreciated the most ? Classical and light music - well, yes I have always liked light music songs."

The concert in "Le Bookshop" was a first time of its kind : "Until then I sang only either in front of elderly people or friends". But this time round it was in front of a "main stream public". Strangers were listening to him. "Between you and me I had stage frights" said he to "Gens de Montpellier". At least before the start the performance. "Then I was ok, well sort of" said he as well, smiling.
"Gens de Montpellier" wants to know what B.I. is feeling at the end of a performance ? - "To start with I'm relieved that I managed to do it" jokingly and launching his communicating laugh. More seriously : " When I go beyond the technics of the singing I'm more into the song story itself - no doubt one can feel some sensibility when he interprets songs like "Summertime". And what else ? "I'm happy if I have - hopefully - let people have a good time and maybe moved them a bit."

Translated by myself with Doris Kneller's authorisation.


No comments: