February 12, 2009

Jewish Style Caramelized Cauliflower

I went to Chinatown today because - following one of my room mate advice - there are very nice food markets down there. I wanted to get vegetables to do a "ratatouille" see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratatouille . There was a strong cold wind blowing so I went into the 1st covered food market I saw. In fact a organic grocery store with a eat in /out deli. I found very nice stuff including teas, soups... but not much vegetables so eventually I got a cauliflower.
I'm going to do a recipe from "Le Vrai Goût de New York" by Jean-Louis André & Jean-François Mallet. Here is my free translation :

Set oven at 200°. Wash the cauliflower and break it in small pieces. Dispose them in a shallow oven dish (preferably one in clay), add olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix it well. Leave it in the oven for about 45 minutes. Watch it and when the browning process starts low down the temperature.
It's supposed to be a starter but it's lovely too with your main dish.


No comments: