November 27, 2011

My Week with Marilyn

"My Week with Marilyn" is the true story from Colin Clarke's diaries. This ambitious young man spent a week as Sir Laurence Olivier's 3d assistant on "The Prince and the Showgirl". To be honest I went to see this film last night because I saw the trailer and Eddie Redmayne as Colin Clarke is rather cute. So I thought why not ? It turned out to be an awfully good moment of cinema. Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe is absolutely astonishing ! Not to mention Kenneth Branagh as Sir Laurence Olivier. And, yes, Eddie Redmayne is very good as well.
I have never been personally fascinated by Marilyn Monroe. As depicted in this film she was a "poor lost girl who couldn't cope with her fame but couldn't live without it" In the same period in France my film icons are Simone Signoret and Yves Montand. Not only they were outstanding actors - and Yves Montand a great singer, I love his interpretation of the songs drawn from Jacques Prévert's poetry - but they had strong left wing awareness to say the least. When I go to Paris I always try to go to Place Dauphine (see : http://mymelange.net/mymelange/2007/01/the-prettiest-square-in-paris-the-place-dauphine.html) where Simone & Yves used to live in a flat called "la roulotte".

No comments: