February 05, 2011

My Ashby Years (3)

I was discovering a new trade and I quickly enjoyed it. It was certainly hard work. And long hours too. When we were working on Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner we used to say : Bloody Long Day ! The Duck had a nice family atmosphere . Most employees had been there for quite a while and everybody was showing me the ropes very kindly and patiently. To me serving in a restaurant was like being on stage : you have to behave and look happy in front of the customers but once you go behind the scene almost everything goes . And we did have fun !
Thanks to the Ashby twinning association I had made a few friends. I was spending most of my spare time going round to visit them. I joined the Rotaract in Swadlincote. It's like the Rotary but for young adults. At the time it was mainly a social club. We were meeting in the chalet of the artificial mini ski resort.
I came across the LGCM (Lesbian & Gay Christian Movement). I was not interested about the religious aspect but they had quite a few different activities : afternoon teas, outings, folk dance. This last item was particularly enjoyable : we were practicing line dancing (Scottish, Irish...). We were mainly men so the one who were playing the role of ladies were wearing pink stripes ...
Otherwise nobody knew I was gay. That wasn't very easy at work as everybody was talking about sex one way or an other.

No comments: