November 25, 2008

New York ! New York !

This blog is going to be live from New York next year ! Here is the email I sent to my friends in the U.K. :

Hello everybody !

Hope you are all right. I don't usually do email list but this is a bit of a special occasion. I'm going to go to New York City next year and stay there for 3 months : 1st February-28th April. This idea was going through my mind for sometimes like "one day I'd like to live in NY for a while". One of those thoughts you have and you tell yourself "one day when I'll retire". Well a couple of months back I said to myself "why not now ?"
I broke the news to my assistant a week ago and she took it very well, looking into the pratical issues straight away. The pretext being to promote French Help Services. I mean deep down I am going over there to live new experiences and meet people. And if along I can as well get new clients for the business, great ! I'd like also to do some volonteer job - anything except with children, extreme situations or physical work - and teach French.
As for the accomodation I 1st thought about house swaping. For 3 months and for New Yorkers (who ever heard of Montpellier over there ?) it's not obvious at all. So I'm considering room-shared in any borough except Manhatan. I actually quite fancy Brooklyn... I started to look on the web ads like craiglist or village voice but it's too early for February and not easy to make people trust you from over the Atlantic... In a way i'm more worried about the cold weather than find somewhere to sleep. I can always book a B & B for a couple of weeks and look round there and then.

So anyway I wanted to share those news with you. And if you happen to have any contact in "The Big Apple" even only to have a chat with - like "what do you wear to keep off the cold ?" - I would be more than grateful.

I don't know when I'll go back to the U.K. Will be from May now...

All the best.
I'll write to each of you individually on my Chritsmas cards.

Love
xx

Benoit / Ben

No comments: